The Dormition Fast
The Theotokos, the Virgin Mary, was “blessed amongst women,” and she was chosen “to bear the Savior of our souls.” Orthodox Christians consider her to be the Queen of all the saints and angels.Knowing that she is eternally present at the throne of God interceding for mankind, we pray for her love, guidance, and protection. Every year the Orthodox Church sets aside the first fourteen days of August in honor of the Virgin Mary. This fast period is climaxed on August 15th, when the Church gathers to celebrate the Great Feast of the Dormition (Falling-Asleep) of the Theotokos.
News from Holymyrrhbearers
for August 2016
There is a need for some news and notes about upcoming events and schedule changes...so here goes:
1) Christ is in our midst! The Tomb of the Theotokos is still up this weekend and we are in need of fresh flowers for the Mother of God...thank you for bringing them either Saturday evening or Sunday morning.
2) We are scheduling a Paraklesis Service on Wednesday, August 24th at 8:00am followed by a Reading Group at the church...everyone welcome!!!
3) We will have a "Gathering of the Pilgrims" for the Holy Land (and anyone else that would like to join us) following the Divine Liturgy on Sunday, August 28th, as well a mini gathering this Sunday, August 21st...everyone welcome!!!
4) Hours and Liturgy for the Feast of The Beheading of St. John the Baptist on Monday, August 29th begin at 9:00am.
5) Hours and Liturgy for the Feast of St. Cyprian of Carthage on Wednesday, August 31st begin at 8:00am, followed by READING GROUP.
Christ is in our Midst!
He Is and Ever Shall
We invite you to worship with us at Holy Myrrhbearers Orthodox Church.
Vespers: Saturdays at 7:00 pm
Orthros: Sundays at 9:00 am
Divine Liturgy: Sundays at 10:00 am